Bergen County NJ Real Estate Tour  

Central Bergen County

There is a wide spectrum of housing options in the communities in central Bergen County.

Home range from million-dollar homes in Oradell and Paramus to a neighborhoods that offer first-time home buyers more affordable options.  We'll be happy to give you a tour of the best neighborhoods in your price range.

Other Bergen County towns

    

 

River Edge

River Edge played a crucial part in the Revolution when George Washington, in November 1776, led his army over the Hackensack New Bridge after the surprise attack by the British at Fort Lee.  At that spot is the Steuben House, a state historic site that houses the museum of the Bergen County Historical Society.   The oldest portion of the sandstone house was probably built in 1713, making this the oldest extant house in the county, but there had been a gristmill on the site several years before that.  During the Revolution the house was owned by Jan Zabriskie, a leading merchant and a Tory. It was confiscated and offered to Major General Baron von Steuben in gratitude for his work in training the American troops.  The house had suffered considerable abuse during the war: because of its strategic location at the bridge it was used for various military purposes, including serving as a fort, throughout the Revolution.  According to legend, Steuben declined the offer because he didn't want to displace the Zabriskies; according to another, its condition made it undesirable.

The Steuben House has an idyllic setting, known as New Bridge Landing Historic Park.   There are other buildings in he park, including the Campbell Christie House, colonials and stone house moved from New Milford, and restored as a tavern by the Bergen County Historical Society.  The Demarest House, an early stone house, was also moved here from New Milford.  Once thought to have been built in the late 1670s by the Huguenot settler David des Marest, it is more likely a late-18th-century successor on that site.

Back to Top

Saddle Brook

Saddle Brook was once part of a larger entity, Saddle River Township, one of the oldest in Bergen County.  Saddle Brook was once the hub of several Indian trails that led to Hackensack and Newark.  Inns and Hotels sprang up in the beginning of the century due to the saw mills in the area. 

The towns annual picnic, which attracts almost 4,000 people, best defines sense of community in Saddle Brook.  75 local organizations and companies donate materials and time to support the event.

The densely populated, middle-class Bergen County Community works hard to maintain its sense of community.  Saddle Brook contains a Youth Advisory Board to help organize the picnic, holiday Christmas tree lighting, and many sporting events.

Back to Top


Elmwood Park

We have quite a few relatives you live in Elmwood Park, including Terry's favorite aunt and uncle. They moved to New Jersey from Queens a few years back and feel very much at home in the community. With a wide spectrum of civic and recreational organizations and activities, there's something for everyone in Elmwood Park.

Originally part of Saddle River Township, Elmwood Park was incorporated in 1916 as the Borough of East Paterson and officially changed its name to the Borough of Elmwood Park on January 1, 1973.  Since its incorporation, Elmwood Park has shown considerable growth. Its 1920 census was 2,441. In 1990, its population was over 18,000.

Elmwood Park's location make it extremely convenient for commuters.  The borough is 10 miles from the George Washington Bridge and 11 miles from Newark.  Accessibility to the area's major highways link the town with all parts of the New York metro area.

Back to Top


Hawthorne

We have quite a few relatives you live in Elmwood Park, including Terry's favorite aunt and uncle. They moved to New Jersey from Queens a few years back and feel very much at home in the community. With a wide spectrum of civic and recreational organizations and activities, there's something for everyone in Elmwood Park.

Originally part of Saddle River Township, Elmwood Park was incorporated in 1916 as the Borough of East Paterson and officially changed its name to the Borough of Elmwood Park on January 1, 1973.  Since its incorporation, Elmwood Park has shown considerable growth. Its 1920 census was 2,441. In 1990, its population was over 18,000.

Elmwood Park's location make it extremely convenient for commuters.  The borough is 10 miles from the George Washington Bridge and 11 miles from Newark.  Accessibility to the area's major highways link the town with all parts of the New York metro area.

Back to Top

New Milford

River Road in New Milford is probably one of the oldest streets in Bergen County, and one of the least changed from its original path.  It was, and still is the most direct route from Old Bridge to the jumping off points to New York City.

When Washington retreated his continental army via River Road and over New Bridge, the first invasion of the war came to New Milford.  For five years the New Milford Valley became the target, with invasion after invasion as both sides sought to reap the harvests of the rich land.

The territorial limits of New Milford are as follows: bounded northerly by the town of Oradell, easterly by Dumont and Bergenfield, southerly by the New Bridge Road and the township of Teaneck, and westerly by the Hackensack River.

Back to Top

 

Bogota

At the turn of the century, even though with a population of less than 400, Bogota boasted many companies that offered various employment opportunities.  Some of these companies included The Bogota Building & Loan Association, The Bogota Water & Light Company, The Riverside Planning Mill, and The Bogota Paper Company.  In April 1898, the Bergen Traction Company was granted a franchise to run a trolley terminating at River Road.  This trolley connected with Leonia, Englewood, Fort Lee, and the 125th Street Ferry.

The Borough of Bogota, bordered to the north and east by Teaneck, to the south by Ridgefield Park, and to the west by the Hackensack River, contains several well-kept parks for recreation and a private swim club.  With easy access to routes 4, 17, 80, and 46, any part of northern New Jersey is easily accessible from Bogota and is only 15 miles from New York City.

Back to Top

Garfield

Immigrants were originally attracted to the community of Garfield for its abundance in employment opportunities in the textile industry which flourished there at the turn of the century.  These textile factories supplied uniforms for most of the troops for both World Wars.  Immigrants today follow the ways of the past, flocking to Garfield in seek of employment.  In addition, housing is inexpensive, attracting immigrants with limited funds.

Recently, big companies have moved out of the area to make way for small independent businesses.  Garfield has an advantage of being close to several major highways.  Garfield's crime rate is comparable or even lower than New Jersey towns of larger populations.

Back to Top

Hackensack

Situated on the Hackensack River and once a busy ocean port, Hackensack was first settled by Dutch traders in the 1640s.  The seat of Bergen County, it was until 1921 officially known as New Barbadoes.  During the Revolution, the Hackensack green was used as a camping ground for both Continental and British regiments.  The courthouse complex includes buildings dating from 1910 to 1933.   The courthouse is neoclassic, but the jail has medieval turreting.  The Administrative Building dates from the 1930s.

Also on the green is the First Reformed Church, built in 1791 and altered in the mid-19th century.  The congregation, organized in 1686, had its first building by 1696, and stones from this and the next church are worked into the present building.   Many revolutionary soldiers are buried in the Graveyard, as is General Enoch Poor.   George Washington and the marquis de Lafayette attended Poor's funeral.  On the northwest corner of Church St. and Washington Pl. is the Bank House, built in the 1830s for the first bank in Bergen County.  Traffic makes it hard to appreciate the green unless you leave your car.  Farther west on Essex St. is the Hackensack Medical Center, founded in 1888 and in the mid-1990s the largest in the state.

A big treat in Hackensack is the New Jersey Naval Museum.  There you can visit the USS Ling, a diesel-electric-powered World War II submarine commissioned in 1945.   After one patrol run, the Ling was decommissioned, and from 1962 to 1971 it was used as a training vessel at the Brooklyn Navy Yard.  Since 1973, the Ling has been berthed at the Hackensack River.  Renovated, it is open for tours.   Inside the museum are exhibits dealing with the history and science of submarines; models, including a working model of a German U-boat; and submarine-related memorabilia.   Outside are missiles, a mine, and an experimental fiberglass sail.

Much of Hackensack's downtown has a 1920s or 1930s flavor.  Note the stone Johnson Free Public Library, built in 1901 and enlarged in 1915 and 1967; the Oritani Field Club; and the group of 1930s Sears Roebuck stores, a prototype of post-World War II shopping centers.

The Hackensack River county park consists of 30 acres along the river behind the Riverside Square Mall.  Trails go through a tidal marsh and forested wetlands, and there are overlooks, bird blinds, and interpretive signs.

At Bergen County Technical School is a steam engine museum, recognized by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers as a regional historical mechanical-engineering landmark.   The collection includes operating stationary steam engines and steam powered equipment, and the museum is restoring two steam locomotives.  At midnight on New Years Eve there is an annual whistle blast.


Back to Top

Lodi

The Borough of Lodi, bordered by Saddle Brook, Rochelle Park and Maywood to the north, Hackensack to the east, Hasbrouck Heights to the south, and Garfield to the west, features a state park, 4 public playgrounds, 2 athletic fields, a tennis court and a private swimming pool.

Lodi provides easy access to New York City and the rest of Bergen county via routes 80 and 46, as well as New Jersey Transit busses.

Back to Top

Maywood

Although located close to highway access, Maywood is surprisingly quiet and there is still a touch of hometown feeling without being isolated from the rest of New Jersey.  Maywoods' founders envisioned a commuter town, with railroads connecting to ferry services that would provide easy access to New York City.

Part of Maywood's old-fashioned charm derives from its beauty from numerous tree-lined streets.  Maywood has been named a Tree City: trees have been catalogued and the town makes a conscious effort to preserve and replace them.

The small downtown shopping district has mostly small, independently owned businesses.  Maywood has strong volunteer and community spirit, which, in times of crisis, the town rallies to raise funds.

Back to Top

Rochelle Park

Rochelle Park, in 1871, was a small part of a larger Midland Township which consisted of 2 other areas.  Rochelle Park, the smallest and most urban, was known as Midland Township before the town's name was changed in 1929 to avoid confusion.  The first post office was established at the current station on Railroad Avenue and a year later pipes and telephone wire were laid.  By 1927, Rochelle Park even had its own airport.

With the construction of major highways in the area in the 1930s, Rochelle Park quickly became a large suburban community within easy reach of larger cities.  Bordered by Paramus to the north, Maywood to the east, Lodi to the south, and Saddle Brook to the west, Rochelle Park today is in close proximity to many shopping areas including the Garden State Plaza, Paramus Park Mall, and Bergen Mall.  Rochelle Park is also close to New Jersey Transit lines that go to and from New York City as well as other parts of Bergen County.

Back to Top

 

 




BERGEN COUNTY /// TERRY & BILL /// TOWNS /// SCHOOLS
BUYING /// SELLING /// EXPLORING /// COMMUTING

"Terry and Bill"
Licensed as Theresa and William Hassan
Coldwell Banker
55 N. Maple Ave. Ridgewood, New Jersey

"Bergen County, NJ - A wonderful place to call home"
Bergen County Real Estate Specialists